Monday, April 26, 2010

On the Mend and it's Monday

What’s going on around here? This participating in the healing process is a full time job.    Sorry no photos today.


I know I need sleep and rest, but it is eluding me. I think part of it is the prednisone and antibiotics but I just don’t get sleepy when I should. Last night at close to midnight I just went to bed and lay there. I did fall asleep but I woke up at 3:45 and never went back to sleep.

Today I was at the blood lab @ 9 for a blood draw and I had an appointment for a manicure, pedicure, facial and to get my eyebrows waxed. The manicure and pedicure were a gift. (Thank you again Mark & Donna, I am glad I saved it for a special occasion) That pedicure chair had a little man inside that massaged up and down my back and he knew where every sore spot was and I am so sore. My guts are sore and I am counting my blessing the Drs were able to do my surgery laproscopicly but I am still sore. My skin is sore, the veins in my arms are itching which I suppose means they are healing too. I have very small and thin veins and I blew out 7 different IV lines in a week. Not fun at all. Also if you’re curious many of the meds that go into an IV taste in your mouth within a few seconds. Some meds just taste funny, some taste downright bad.

It is 1PM and I am waiting for someone to come and clean our fireplace jets. Two of my sweet friends are helping with our gardening this year. Vickie is here now pruning the apple trees and Cindy has all ready spent hours in the flower beds. What a big deal help that is to me.

So here is where “True Confessions” comes in. Bill is pretty much and antichemical guy when it comes to the lawn. I think it was 3 years ago that our neighbors daughter got married and the wedding was in their yard between us and them. So I wanted our yard to look nice and so did they. I think I spent 50 plus hours in the yard with a weed popping tool, popping dandelions then we had to reseed all the bald spots. It was worth it but I said to myself, never again. Last year I got a bag of weed and feed at Costco, stored it in the shed under a pile of blue tarps, and 4 or 5 times through the summer when it looked like rain I got out the whirrlygig thing and did the yard with weed and feed. Well it was awesome. I could manage the weeds that did come up but the grass grew like crazy. Bill would mow and 4 or 5 days later he would say something like ‘I cannot believe how fast that grass is growing, I need to mow again.’ My master gardener neighbor would laugh all the way back to her house. Since I had such success with my plan last year I decided to do the same thing this year. The week before I got my cold I was at Costco and bought a fresh bag of weed and feed. I put it in the back seat of my car and covered it up with my coat until I could take care of it. (Sneaky me.) Then I got sick. So while I am lying in the hospital bed after surgery thinking I start worrying about this bag of weed and feed. I had to fess up. Bill came to visit one day at lunch and I told him my story. I said if I had ‘kicked the bucket’ he would have found this bag of chemicals in the back seat of my car and been upset with me. I guess in my current position he was more tolerant because he didn’t fuss at me at all.

I also spent time this afternoon trying to put a medical hold on my health club/Curves membership.  I am only allowed to walk for some time.   No lifting, no jumping up and down,  no abdominal or core exercises,  only walking.    So walking it will be but since I had paid by the year I wanted to get that on hold until I can get back into activity again.  Then I got Delta to reissue and open airline ticket for the one I had to give up since I missed my trip to the Southeast.   I called the good folks at Stitches (I was going to be taking a lot of knitting classes.)   and they asked me to call back again at the end of the week.  They are just barely recovering from the event themselves,  so I will try again on Friday.

What's Cooking?
Sunday: at lunch I wasn’t hungry and too tired from our walk so Bill made himself a PB&J. I did pull off a great Mexican dinner: tacos, corn salad and Mexican rice.

Monday: my lunch: I was going to come home and cook the bacon for the sandwiches that I didn’t do yesterday, Then I decided I was too tired for that so I would eat left over Mexican, but when I was finished with my appointments I stopped at the local Thai restaurant and got a lunch combo to go. (Spinach and chicken salad and Phad Thai noodles) For Dinner: at first I thought I would pull a piece of salmon from the freezer then I decided I was too tired for a full blown meal so I would make some salmon patties and have extra for lunch tomorrow. Now I am thinking of baking some breaded fish from the freezer and calling it good.

Tuesday: family dinner, I made the salmon patties this afternoon and I think I can manage some roasted potatoes and veggies tomorrow. I am really looking forward to work.


Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945:   for a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.


April 26, Thursday – Well I hope we get letters today from the sons. Lovie is here ironing. Dad has come into dinner says he has his hegri all planted. The Chipper is sure a precious baby grows sweeter by the day. Well we had a letter from the Bill, Chy had two and we had one, “ole” Bill Boy is O.K. Says he is guarding prisoners of war, Chy and Lovie went to Cherokee to make paper flowers and the chipper and I stayed home. Chy brought in some steak and she cooked it for supper and it was delicious she is a wonderful little cook, Bill sure has a jewel in her, we all love her as our very own . The Chipper is sure having a good time I can hear her, she is such a darling baby. Kathleen sent us the picture of Mary Ann it is so good of her, just like her Daddy. Gee I heard the whippoorwill calling last night I love to hear them. We had the weather radio charged last week, my domino hen is hatching her turkey eggs tonight.

No comments: