Thursday, April 29, 2010

Back @ Work

What’s going on around here?  Tuesday was good to be back at work.   I love being a dental hygienist.   I enjoy my coworkers.   I am happy to be helping my patients.   I love the 'art and craft' of what I do.   I had a really good nights rest Monday night so I was all ready for Tuesday and the day went well.   They had given me two and a half hours off in the middle of the day instead of just one hour for lunch so I took a 45 minute walk around the local neighborhood.  Some of my worries about going back to work were that I might make noises that would embarrass myself. When 'bubbles' move through my system and out sometimes others can hear a little bubbling sound. This did not happen at all on Tuesday and once Wednesday it did but there are lots of other noises in the dentist office and no one heard my personal noises.   Did I mention that I am ticklish.  You know how you blow bubbles on a babies belly and the baby giggles,  well when those bubbles happen it tickles and sometimes it make me giggle.   How weird is that.

My Dr. had left a message mid morning Tuesday about my blood test from Monday and although my liver numbers are improving she said the sugar numbers were not as good as she wanted.   I am to go for another blood draw on Monday next week and she suggested that I stay away from sugars and simple carbs until after that test.   I had planned on Mexican beans and Mexican rice for lunch yesterday with some of the corn salad on a bed of romaine and cilantro.   I decided not to do the beans and rice.   There is a Mexican restaurant next door to my office , so I called them up and they grilled me a piece of chicken to put on that salad,  that was a good choice and delicious too.

The nieces came for family dinner Tuesday night just like 'normal' and they were both surprised I was cooking and it wasn't Thai takeout, my favorite back up plan.    The final menu was salmon patties,   sliced ham,    roasted potatoes, and a big spinach and veggie salad with fresh pineapple and chocolate for dessert.     When I was in Texas in January I went to dinner with my Houston sister and niece and the husbands to a cute little French restaurant.   Dinner was so good. My nephew had an appetizer of salmon cakes and I had tasted it .   It was delicious and I have been trying to remake that since.   I think I did it last night.   In the past, mine have been too dry.   So this time I used 3 cans of salmon and eggs and less bread crumbs.   What ever I got it right the salmon was just a little sweet and the 'cakes' were moist and delicious.    I always try to make extra.  First the nieces like to take home leftovers and also I love salmon cake sandwiches later.

When Bill got home last night there was a big beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting for us from some dear friends that live in Florida.    FTD had these packaged with vase and plant food and the flowers along with instructions for how to put them all together.    Bill did the putting together and they looked so pretty by the time I got there.     Also I have really enjoyed the cards and letters from so many friends and family.   Better than Christmas because they all have little notes inside.     I am just so happy they are not sympathy cards and funeral sprays.   For me this is so much better.   So thank you all again for being so wonderful to me.

The nieces were gone by 8PM and I was in bed before 9 PM.  Wednesday morning I moved a little slower than Tuesday and I had a full day of patients.  It was great to be working and active and back in the swing of things.  



Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945        


Grannies Diary (Bobbie Ann Maxwell): for a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.

April 27, FridayWell a cloudy day and we went to town this morning. Hilly and Lovie and I ran down to Mrs Astops. They were ok. Talked to Elsie and Tom A had been in some scrape, suspended from school for 3 days. I paid son’s bill which was $5.50. Mr Bowden called last night about 11:30 to get dad to come help with a calving cow. The calf came dead. Lovie and Chy have gone to Cherokee to decorate the car for the parade. Hilly got us a beef roast and a steak. He is sure nice. I got two sacks of turkey starter, $2.20.

April 28, SaturdayWell we all went to the Cherokee fair. The parade was really the best I ever saw. Donnie Yates on his little pony was a regular superman. Mrs Burk held our mail for us and Chy had 5 letters from the Bill and he is back in combat. Chy called Dad and I late after sundown and said Germany had surrendered but it was a false rumor. I helped in the dinner serving today, and cut my thumb. Mrs Burke cut her finger. I fixed Dads plate today, put some good roast on it, the kind he liked, saw Travis D. Elsie, Tom and the kids came but they didn’t see the parade. Louise Estep was sure cute, she rode a side saddle, saw Cora Bell, she sure has a nice car. Mr B and dad has gone back to the fair tonight as Hart Donahue and his boys were going to play music, and they had some nome stuff to Auction off. Bob Estep and his sister Mrs Lewis were dressed as Indians, sure were cute, I say, very cute. Mrs Lewis had a doll on her back for a papoose. Bill was sending Chy a lot of stuff, some silver. Be glad when it gets here. I want to see it. The Chipper was so sweet today, everyone loved her so but she is tired tonite.









No comments: