Monday, June 28, 2010

June 21st – June 28th

What’s going on around here? June 21st – June 28th

Just for fun: My week with Deborah Kaye was so much fun. Monday I printed a schedule of the week…. We had lunch with Chris and Anne and the grandkids. It was a quick visit but it was good to see them and Debbie was amazed at how grownup they are getting. We left lunch and drove straight to Bellevue to meet up with ‘Dr Endocrinologist’. We discussed medications and the next changes he wanted to make. We discussed that I am now Type II Diabetic, and what I need to do to be healthy and keep that in control. He did say under normal circumstances I probably would not need to be on medication but since we are trying to get me in the very best health before surgery that medication is a better choice for now. Tuesday we rested in the morning and went to lunch in Lake Forest Park at the Honey Bear Bakery. I think I have found the world’s best BLT sandwich. After lunch we went to the yarn shop next door and walked around a bit. Debbie got a couple of projects there, one of them was wrist warmers for me, and I am so excited them. She had one almost finished before she left and they are going to be beautiful. I am going to wear them while I am working on the computer because the fan that my laptop sits on most of the time blows cold air on my wrist and with arthritis in my hands and wrist they get to aching. I have been thinking about doing some for a long time I just had not taken any action. Tuesday afternoon we made a big Costco run to get all the supplies to cook for the teens. When we got home we put together an Asian dinner for Family Dinner including Edemame for an appetizer this was because Deborah had told me the last time she had Edemame she didn’t like it much, it was so chewy. She was trying to eat the pod instead of sucking out the beans from the inside. We all got a good laugh at her expense and she decided she like Edemame much better without the pods.

The City of Redmond has a Teen Center and they provide food for the teens on Wednesday’s. I have volunteered to provide the food once a quarter. I usually do most of the shopping and cooking and two girlfriends split the cost of the groceries, help me deliver and serve the food. Lucky Debbie choose this week to visit. The weather was nice and so I decided to do build-your-own Taco Salad. The teens loved the food but they are not much for lettuce and there was a lot of lettuce left over, which we left there and the supervisor said would get eaten, I hope so. Even the ones who did put lettuce on their plates only picked up a few leaves. I am a big lettuce eater and so I didn’t guess this ahead of time. Bill and Deborah did the cleanup Wednesday night when we got home and I was thrilled. That is the part that I hate the most. I don’t like cleanup to start with and especially not when I am tired.

Thursday we were lazy getting up and around and I still wanted here to visit a couple of other favorite places including a yarn shop in Wallingford where there is a delicious cupcake place next door. The thing to do here is take your knitting and sit and have a cupcake and latte and knit for a while, a very healthy lunch for a diabetic don’t you think? After we knit awhile we headed back to the Eastside for pedicures and Facials, I thought this would relax us both after cooking and cleaning the day before. Friday my bookclub group met at the house at lunch. We all had lunch together and then Deborah did work on the computer while we discussed our book, which I am not liking so much mostly because it is dry as sawdust. Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levine. We did meet up with the whole Friday night group for dinner and a good visit and then got home for Deborah to pack and organize and me to get to bed early because I was scheduled to work the whole day on Saturday.
Healing Process: When I saw the endocrinologist on Monday he changed up my medications again. Now I am down to 10mg of prednisone and I am feeling a lot slower and more tired. I feel like I am standing still and the world is buzzing all around me. If I make a move to do something Deborah would jump up and have it done before I could take a few steps. I am feeling good just not quite as perky as before. I did work all day Saturday and Donna, @ the office said that I didn’t act ‘sick’ or ‘too slow’, I was still interacting with patients and telling stories, so that is good. I appreciate other people’s observations because I don’t always see the whole picture myself. I saw my primary care Internist today and we spent almost an hour going over the big picture and what I am supposed to do between now and surgery: medications, blood tests, talking to the surgeon, talking to the anesthesiologist, diet, exercise and monitoring my glucose levels. I think I am getting ready. Oh and I am trying not to have to order any more ostomy supplies. I counted out how many I have of each of the parts and if I am careful I am going to run out of most of the supplies right on schedule. How funny would that be.

In the news: I think it must be a slow time in the news because the front page of the paper had a large photo of a ‘bluebonnet’ with a story about Lupine: Purple Meadows’ Majesty and my Associate Press app told me that Senator Robert Byrd died today. He is the longest serving senator in history.

What's up at the dental office? I took off last week because Deborah was in town visiting and worked all day Saturday. It is so funny after I have been off a little while and I get back to work, every time I say “this is so much fun.” I still love being a hygienist.

What's Cooking?

Bill’s new snack: He calls it popcorn. He thinks it is delicious and look it is only a little bit of healthy oil and popcorn, “that’s all it is” not like what comes in those bags for the microwave.

Tuesday: family dinner: salmon, green beans and coleslaw

Wednesday: BBQ chicken, corn (for Bill) broccoli salad

Thursday: Bill’s night out

Friday: date night @ Bill and Colleen’s and I am bringing an appetizer


Sunday: we are going to be on Bill and Priscilla’s boat for part of the day so I will do snacks again.

Monday: Holiday and Bill off work,

What's on my needles: I have made absolutely no progress. Turns out that I spent more time going backwards than forwards when Deborah was here and I am not caught up to where I was before she got here. I also am sure I will NOT be wearing the Sasha skirt to Bob and Karen’s wedding because I took out the entire bottom ruffle and may not even start it again until I am in the hospital with time on my hands. I did have lots of fun getting Deborah going on some projects including her first ever top down sweater for her grandson and then she started my wrist warmers also. The wrist warmers are in a pretty lace pattern and she picked it up really quickly and it was looking beautiful when she left. We also took some photos of a blanket she just finished and put it on Ravelry. She had done a beautiful job.

What's off my needles: Nothing to report at all.

What I am reading: I have a new book on my iphone, A Clearing in the Wild by Jane Kirkpatrick. It was recommended by a girlfriend. It is a Christian novel but it is also the story of her family coming west. So I am looking forward to getting into it.

Counting my Blessings: When you have a forever friend like Deborah it is amazing. I can’t remember ever having a ‘falling out.’ Sometimes a year went by when she was raising her kids but each time we get together it was just like old times. Deborah goes all the way back to 7th grade but I have several other friends that are like that and go way back also. I think that is an amazing blessing. It was a very good week.

Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.

I have added a column on the right side of the blog that explains the character’s involved to the best of my knowledge.

June 21st – Thursday A message came in this morning that Dan Parshier baby girl had been killed by a truck And Billie Dan had gotten his leg broken by a car running over it a day or two before. They have my sympathy, poor things. They will have the funeral at 3 o’clock this evening at the Christian Church. Mrs. B. brought us a jar of fish. I picked beans this eve. Will can tomorrow. I sent the Bills letters off today to Chy. I feel very well. Dr Pense sure helped me, Dad planted the peas.

June 22nd – Friday Mrs. Smith called for me to come get my peaches and Dad and Mr. B have gone after them. I have my cooker on with 7 quarts of beans in it and cannot go. I made some kraut a while ago. Lovie, Hilly and Nancy came by and ate supper. Lovie brought steak.

June 23rd – Saturday Well just as I was crawling out of bed this morning I heard Dad yelling for me to hurry and come out there and I knew WeWe heifer was having her calf, so I hurried out but he had gotten the calf, a big bull calf. Dad and Frank ran up to Cherokee. I sent 94cents worth of cabbage and carrots. I canned 11 quarts of the peaches I got from Mrs. Smith. Mrs. Bowden came to see me this evening late. Dad turned Puggie out this morning.

June 24th- Sunday Another day gone by, We, Dad and I, spent the day with Lovie and Nancy. Hilly had gone to round up his cattle to sell. Mack Jr. and Mr. Walter found some more of Hilly’s hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Powell came this evening to tell us to go to Llano in the morning and sign up for electricity. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came to tell us.

June 25th - Monday Well Dad and the Bowdens went to Llano to sign up for the electricity this morning. Hope we get it. I dug the carrots and canned 11 pints of them. Canned 7 pints of peaches and I am tired tonight. Dad ploughed this evening. Had a sweet letter from Bill and Chy.

June 26th - Tuesday Well Lovie, Hilly and Nancy came by for me to go in for Nancy’s tonsil operation, Hilly didn’t go and it was a bloody operation and Nancy didn’t vomit but 3 or 4 times, she came out from under the ether by the time the Dr Pense and the nurse laid her on the bed. Elsie was with us. Birda Lee, Bernie, Gayle D and Miss Katy B, Tom A, and Jymmie all came to see how Nancy was. Lovie and Nancy are here tonite. Hilly went home in the pickup.

June 27th – Wednesday Well the Nancy girl is doing just fine. Lovie ran up to help Hilly in the store this evening. The Bowden’s came to see Nancy tonight. Lovie got an invite to Billie Joe Phillipp’s shower for Friday nite. Lovie brought a big steak for supper. I got a few blisters for roasting ears today the coons are romping on the corn.

June 28th – Thursday The Nancy girl is doing fine. We washed this morning and Dad killed a big 3 foot mama coon in his corn about 2:30 this morning. Fuzz found the old coon and they really had a battle. Hilly and Lovie came and ate supper and brought Nancy new bicycle and she is so proud of it, bless her little heart. Lovie took her home tonite and I miss her so. Dad went to Cherokee and took the old turkey hen off. She brought $3.00. I had a letter from Poll. I canned more peaches this evening, Lovie brought them.

No comments: