Monday, July 5, 2010

June 29th – July 5th 2010

What’s going on around here? June 29th – July 5th 2010

Healing Process:

The endocrinologist encouraged me to shoot for 10,000 steps a day walking. I downloaded a pedometer app for my iphone to help me count my steps. It counts steps, miles and calculates the calories you have burned. So far I am not doing so well at it. I also got a new pair of shoes. I never bought a pair of shoes that came with a DVD before, but these did. They are called Shape-up and are made by Skechers. It says they are designed to: promote weight loss, (yeah right) strengthen the back, firm and tone muscles, increase cardiovascular health, improve posture and reduce stress on knees and ankles. ‘I’ am hoping they will help heal a sore Achilles tendon. My new nutrition counselor told me to aim for 6000 steps a day and make that my goal for a while. I think that is more realistic for a first goal.

Sunday June 27th: 4210 steps and almost 1.5 miles 142 calories
Monday June 28th: 7,000 steps, 3 miles and 325 calories.
Tuesday June 29th : 700 steps, not so much walking @ work, mostly sitting but then too tired to walk when I get home.
Wednesday June 30th: 650 steps, almost exactly the same.
Thursday July 1st: I didn’t even turn it on. Slept late and went to bed early

Friday July 2nd: 3353 steps, 1.23 miles and 119 calories
Saturday July 3: 5694 steps, 2 miles and 199.68 calories
Sunday July 4th: slept late and went to bed early. Not much walking
Monday July 5th: 6000 steps, in two really good walks

What's Cooking?
Tuesday: family dinner: salmon, squash and zucchini sauté and coleslaw
Wednesday: turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans
Thursday: Bill’s night out
Friday: date night, I brought appetizers to B&C’s , salmon, potato salad, southwest green salad and birthday strawberry pie (sugar free chocolate for me)
Saturday: chicken roll ups and veggies
Sunday: crab cakes, tomato salad, potato salad, baked beans w/ friends
Monday : delicious dinner @ friends
What I am reading: I am almost finished with ‘A Clearing In the Wild’ and I am really enjoying this book and I am really glad I don’t live in those days with those customs.

Have I seen any good movies lately: We watched the Golden Compass and Brian’s Song this weekend. I liked both of them. The Golden Compass was good fantasy entertainment and Brian’s song was about the power of friendship in so many ways.
I love my iphone, my favorite app this week is: Chirp lite and ibird 15: both of which are free and tell you lots of information about birds and then make the sounds the birds make. I am just loving all the birds that are in the yard and this is teaching me more about them and recognizing the songs they make. Both of these apps are really fun.


Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: July


For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.


June 29th – Friday A busy day, I cleaned the front yard, mowed the grass, churned, cooked dinner but sis Ermy kept me as she was not able to do anything, and she never ate much today. She had me call Lovie and tell her to bring some cream and she ate some of it. I made Sis Ermy the skirt I promised to make her last winter, this evening and it is right cute, they are having Bettie J’s shower tonight. Sis Evy is with me tonight as Hilly, Lovie were invited out to Owen Parks to a big supper tonite. I have custody of the black bag. Mrs B came by and borrowed my cooker book this morning. I have four dogs now: Tipper, Jackie, Patsy, and Fuzz. Guess I’ll leave as I don’t like so many dogs. I had a fight with the red wasps one bit me on the shoulder and I killed four of them, the devils.




June 30th – I killed a snake at 3:30 this morning it ate and killed five of the sick white chicks. I killed another big white snake eating another one up this morning it had swallowed its leg. Dad and Nancy went to Cherokee this evening. Lovie took Nancy over to San Saba for Dr Pense to look over. He said she was doing fine. Dad finished ploughing after he came in from Cherokee. I slept the bigger part of the evening for I was so tired. We had a letter from the Gordie girl. Sure glad to hear from her. Gordon was out with his Daddy. Pop said tonight that he had 8 cases of worms. Lovie said they had a lot of fun last nite at the Owen Parks supper.


July 1st – Sunday Well today is the first of July, hope it rains. I am taking such good naps today. Yes it came a good rain, more than an inch and it is still raining some tonight. We ought to have run over to see Sis Ermy today but didn’t.




July 2nd – Monday    Well something came and killed the rest of the diarrhea chicks left 6. I set and wrote letters and never heard the chick peep until I went to bed. Well we went to Cherokee. I paid the phone bill, sent off an order to Montgomery for Dad some things, Sis Ermy doesn’t eat anything, she drank a coke. We had a letter from the Bill Boy and he didn’t mention the Chipper. Well the Hilly and Lovie came by for supper. I had hot rolls and other goodies. Sis Ermy went home with them but she ate some supper tonite. I sure was glad to see her eat. Dad and I picked the dried beans this evening.


July 3rd - Tuesday Sis Ermy has been operated on a week today. I haven’t seen her today so I guess she is okay. Lovie was supposed to bring her by this morning but I guess Nancy whimpered so of course she got to do as she wanted to. Don Lim and wife brought Jim’s trailer out here today said Jim and folks would be in in about 8 days. I can’t wait for them to get here. Hilly, Lovie and Nancy all came by and ate a snack as Dad and I had eaten. I didn’t think they were coming. Cecil and McLerran Lights are having a picnic down at the Lively’s tomorrow the 4th of July, 1945.


July 4th – Wednesday Well we stayed home all day and the folks that went down to the Creek had a big dinner and got full of ticks. Cecil came to borrow old Tip and he said Lovie and Hilly were going to the rodeo at San Saba. They went to the picnic. It rained some today.


July 5th – Thursday Well I don’t feel so well today as I didn’t get to sleep till almost 3am and I have a funny pain on my right side that came on about 11 o’clock last night. Nancy is here. Hilly and Lovie came by before we got up. They had a good time at the picnic. She also said they had a good time at the rodeo. Hilly and Lovie came by for supper; Sis Ermy rode her bicycle all by herself this evening. Cecil came for Dad to help him round up some sheep and he brought three over here to load as Cecil said he had a hog pen made out of his loading pen. Had a sweet letter from Chy today, she said the Chipper can Pat the Cakes when you tell her too. Chy said Bills foot had been infected again. It is trying to rain. Cecil got old Tipper to hunt coons.

1 comment:

Missy said...

CeLinda, your goal of walking 6000 steps is a good one. One of the ladies in my neighborhood also walks with a goal of "steps per day". You can always increase the amount later, but establishing a routine is what is very tough, especially when you are also working outside the home. I currently measure my walks by knowing the neighborhood circuit is 2 miles.