Monday, June 14, 2010

June 11th - June 14th 2010 Roadtrip

What’s going on around here? June 11th - June 14th 2010


Just for fun: I have been really busy, having fun and starting to feel like I have my life back again, a little bit. It is actually bedtime and I am typing madly because I have been more busy having fun than sitting around. Friday I left with two girlfriends on a road trip to Vancouver, Washington to a friend’s birthday party. (It was way too close to my niece to not get to see her, in Portland, but I wasn’t driving and it was a short trip.) We left in the early afternoon and got to Vancouver and checked into the hotel, then we chatted and laughed until late. The party on Saturday started at noon so we lounged around and had coffee and a great breakfast and all got ready. It was fun to watch three women with curly hair all talk about hair product. When we got to the party it was so much fun to see friends I had not seen in years and also to meet some new amazing women who love my friend and appreciate her like I do.  Can you tell how many scarfs she is wearing?  They were all gifts and she is holding a beautiful pair of socks that her granddaughter hand knitted.   My 'roadmates' and I left the party about 3pm and it usually is a 3 and a half hour drive. We got home at 11:15 pm. The delay was due to: garage sales, antique malls, lattes, other snacks, dinner, more shopping and a really bad traffic delay not necessarily in that order.

Sunday I slept till about 11am and then dressed for working in the yard. I would pull a few weeds and then sit and knit and rest and then pull a few more weeds and rest a bit more for most of the afternoon. Today I was up early, ‘caffeined’ up, had a good visit with Mom on the phone, did some work @ the desk, lunch w/ a couple of girlfriends that I try to see once a month, walked 3 miles with my walking partner and off to Costco for a load of groceries. When I got home one of the women who has been helping me in the yard was still working so I invited her to stay for dinner. So here I am and it is bedtime and I have a full week ahead. Yea!


What's Cooking?
Monday: roast chicken, green salad, steamed sugar pea pods and stuffing

Tuesday: family dinner : turkey meatballs and gravy, BBQ shrimp, steamed asparagus, green bean salad w/ feta and pecans and roasted Yukon gold potatoes.

Wednesday: vegi burger patties w/ pasta sauce and Whole Wheat penne, green salad and steamed broccoli

Thursday: Bill’s night out

Friday: date night (B&C are home!!! )


What's on my needles: this week it is all about baby girl Buckspan who is due in September. I don’t have any photos yet but soon. It is so funny when you are knitting something for someone special like this you think of them all the time, pray for them, wish them a wonderful life, wonder what the 'Mom and Dad' are doing now.... all that stuff.  This little great niece will live in Maine and that is just a long way off....


Counting my Blessings: It was just great to get my suitcase out again.





Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.


June 11th – Monday Well Dad and Frank took 86 hens of Lovie’s to Cherokee this morning. She got $88 out of them. I canned 7 quarts more of shelled pinto beans today. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came by and brought me a mess of fish tonight. Well what do you know the Bill, Chy and our sweet little Chipper got in. They slipped up on old Lovie and Hilly. Lovie and Nancy came on down here with them. Nancy stayed with us and Hilly and Lovie came on back after the store closed and I had a good supper, and we just talked and ate. Gee but it is great to have the Bill, Chy and Chipper back with us. Nancy is with us tonight. Flora let us have Mrs. McLerran’s bed for Chipper. I had a letter from Gordie and she said they would not be home until August. The Bowden’s all came to see Bill.


June 12th – Tuesday Well Elsie, Jymmie, Lovie and Nancy were all here today to help enjoy Bill, Chy and Ann and we had a good day, a good dinner. The kids and Dad all went to Cherokee this evening. Dad got his check for the two calves we sent off last Thursday. $99.75. They did pretty good to be starved 3 days before selling that’s the last stock we will send old Nored and Hutchin’s. Gee but we had a good rain last night and it rained some this evening. I have lost 18 of my fine Sears and Roebuck chickens. I wrote Son and the girls tonite. Bill sure got all over me tonite, said I spoiled Chipper. Well let them keep Chipper in New Mexico like he said he was going to. Pop still may cripple him in his other foot. The little Chy put him up to get me told, I don’t spoil Ann. I just love her a bit now and then.


June 13th – Wednesday I got my conialol chicks today. Dad, Bill, and Chy all went to town in Bill and Chy’s car. Dad paid Sam the $5.50 I owed him only he paid him $6.50. I’ll see what the extra dollar was for tomorrow when I go in to the parade. Bill, Chy and Chipper all run over to Llano to get a case of beer. Bill took the beer bottles from here that he gathered up several years ago at Lovie’s. Hilly, Lovie and Nancy all ate supper here tonight. Lovie brought me a half bushel of peaches that Mrs. Whitt gave her so I will preserve them tomorrow when I get thru washing. The Chipper and I had a good time while the rest were in town, only Chip slept most of the time. Frank came and stayed until Bill, Chy, and Dad got back from town. Lovie said Cecil was in town for treatment for a boil on his leg. He came by this morning for Bill to go sorting.


June 14th – Thursday Well Bill, Chy, Dad and I all ran in to see the parade. Jymmie was riding by the side of her grasshopper. Tom said it was the last time he was going to haul a horse for her to ride in the parade. Saw Elsie, Tom A, Tom and a lot of others I knew. Hilly and Lovie came by for us to go, but only Bill and Chy went. Dad and I kept Chipper and she was so good and dad a good time and went to sleep on Dad’s bed. Frank came late and he took Chip walking while I gathered the eggs and dad cut the cow feed. She ate supper with dad, ate a cookie and drank water and just talked. Oh but she is sweet. Dad got on a stub and said he was going to quit me. Will be a good deed when he does. I made him some shorts and he cusses them, so I’ll just give them to Hilly, that’s what the quarrel started over, but he want a young woman he’s tired of me, the brute.

No comments: