Monday, July 12, 2010

July 6th – July 12th 2010

What’s going on around here? July 6th – July 12th 2010


I worked on Tuesday and Wednesday (6th & 7th) and both days we broke heat records for the area with temperatures in the mid 90’s. That to say it was really warm in the office even with air conditioning and an extra fan in my room. So I don’t really know what happened on Thursday (8th) but I had the worst headache and could not lift my head off the pillow without being nauseated. My Dr thinks I may have picked up a virus. I had to call Bill and he came home from work and we went to the emergency room, again. This time it was not the Addison’s, we decided I just needed hydrating and with headache and nausea medications on board I went home to rest and stay in the air-conditioning. Friday (9th) I was like a different person, I felt much better, but only did a very short walk, mostly to not be in the heat for long. My friend JoAnn brought casseroles for the freezer, and goodies for Bill for while I am out of commission and Mick and Christie picked up Thai food and had dinner with us on the back patio. The birds around the house are amazing and Mick had his camera busy taking photos. I am starting to pack and sort for the hospital. My surgeon called Friday evening to check in on me and so did my primary care Dr. I am so lucky to have doctors that care so much about me. Saturday (10th) Bob and Karen, from the Friday Night Group, got married. They are both in their 70’s and really happy together. I think they both bring something really good to the relationship with the other person. It was a casual celebration, as Karen would say, but it was a really big deal. Her 2 sons were there, one came all the way from Sweden with his whole family, including the in-laws. The other son lives in Washington State but east of the mountains. There were 7 grandchildren and they all popped those ‘cracker’ things that send out streamers over Bob and Karen’s heads. It was really cute. A bunch of the friends had brought salads and Karen had made loads of homemade bread and ham and turkey. I made Chinese cabbage salad, with Ramen noodles but I bought too much and so had lots of extra. On the way home from the wedding we called Barbara, Bill’s sister and asked if we could bring it to Becky’s birthday party on Sunday. (Becky’s party would be my last meal till a few days after surgery so we didn’t need extra food around here.) Sunday (11th) We picked Amanda up first and then drove to Mount Vernon and picked up Bill’s mother, Toula and then drove on to Bellingham for Becky’s party. It was a great day we had enough time to visit with everyone a bit. Sometimes I feel like the whole day is rushed when we go up because Bill always wants to get home early enough to rest and do the ‘Sunday night, get ready for the week chores.’ Today it didn’t feel rushed and it was an awesome day. Becky’s boyfriend Ryan brought his parents and we loved them. Turns out there are lots of close connections, the world is way too small. Sarah and David were there too, we had not seen them since their wedding and now their baby is almost 6 months old. Macy is so beautiful and was happy all day and we all passed her around. Both my sisters called me this weekend and we had really good visits. It seems like the three of us are really happy with our lives right now and are counting all our blessings. One of them is that we each seemed to be with partners that we love sharing our lives with and are very content. That is pretty awesome and something I would wish for everyone but few seem to find that.    


Monday (12th) This morning I did a few more chores around the house and then showered and went to work at noon. The whole office did First Aid and CPR this afternoon. While they all were eating pizza I was drinking clear liquids. This evening Tamara came over with her daughters, Hannah is my Goddaughter and her sister Hailey. Hailey thought I had a new decoration up on the front porch, turns out we all learned something new. It was two leopard slugs, mating. I was so curious I went right to Google and found some videos on utube, just like what was happening on my front porch. We have pileated woodpeckers that are huge and they are now bringing their baby to the suet feeder. We also have 2 quail and I am putting cracked corn out for them. There are dozens of birds and the squirrels and the deer come by somewhat irregularly and now this. What next?   

Healing Process: Other than the little set back on Thursday all has been well. My primary care Dr decided that I must have picked up some kind of viral infection. It was not my Addison’s and it went away as fast as it came. My blood sugars are staying under control pretty well with only 2 metformin a day and that is really good. I am getting brave enough to eat a carb now and then without panicking, like I made a rice dish and had about a half cup and my blood sugar was just fine. I am sure I will be on insulin in the hospital again but I am really hoping to get this all under control when everything heals.

Sorting and Organizing: This week that would be getting ready for the hospital. I have sorted reading and writing material and knitting projects. Some I will take to the hospital with me and some I will have Bill bring later. I have put meals in the freezer, some for Bill and some for when I get home. I am caught up on paying the bills, including the previous hospital stay, balancing accounts, writing notes, and have done all the laundry.


What's Cooking?
Tuesday: family dinner; Southwestern Paella with shrimp, chicken and sausage and steamed green beans and plated salads of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and guacamole.
Wednesday: chicken quesadillas with avocado and tomato salad
Thursday: Bill’s night out
Friday: Mick and Christie brought Thai food
Saturday: Bob and Karen’s wedding and lots of good goodies
Sunday: Becky’s birthday party and my last meal…… it was all delicious
Monday: I’m on clear liquids and Bill is on his own. I have again stored lots of homemade dinners in the freezer for him.

And the week to come I will be in the hospital


What's on my needles: I have started a hat, something mindless that I can just knit on for the first day or so. It is one of the baby ones and it is going to be another little apple with a green stem and leaf on the top.

Have I seen any good movies lately: We saw “The Five People You Meet In Heaven” this weekend. It was made in 2004 as a made for TV drama and we liked it. In Heaven, Eddie, Jon Voight, meets five people that through flashback show him how he effected the lives of others in amazing ways and each had a lesson to teach him as well. Bill and I both kept talking about it and trying to remember the lessons; like forgiving others that hurt you and allow others to forgive you and not let what you did to them destroy you….. It was a good movie, but you might need a kleenix.


My thoughts for the day: A very special person has recently come back into my life and she sent me this story. It has been around the internet for a long time but when I read it this time it was fresh to me and I hope it will be to you also.


TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKING THROUGH THE DESERT . DURING SOME POINT OF THE JOURNEY, THEY HAD AN ARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIEND SLAPPED THE OTHER ONE IN THE FACE

THE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPED WAS HURT, BUT WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING, WROTE IN THE SAND , TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE .

THEY KEPT ON WALKING, UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS, WHERE THEY DECIDED TO TAKE A BATH THE ONE WHO HAD BEEN SLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THE MIRE AND STARTED DROWNING, BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM. AFTER HE RECOVERED FROM THE NEAR DROWNING, HE WROTE ON A STONE: ‘TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE'

THE FRIEND WHO HAD SLAPPED AND SAVED HIS BEST FRIEND ASKED HIM, 'AFTER I HURT YOU, YOU WROTE IN THE SAND AND NOW, YOU WRITE ON A STONE, WHY?'

THE FRIEND REPLIED 'WHEN SOMEONE HURTS US WE SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN IN SAND, WHERE WINDS OF FORGIVENESS CAN ERASE IT AWAY. BUT, WHEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING GOOD FOR US, WE MUST ENGRAVE IT IN STONE WHERE NO WIND CAN EVER ERASE IT'

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE.

THEY SAY IT TAKES A MINUTE TO FIND A SPECIAL PERSON, AN HOUR TO APPRECIATE THEM, A DAY TO LOVE THEM, BUT THEN, AN ENTIRE LIFE TO FORGET THEM.




Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.


July 6th – Friday It is raining slowly this morning. Had a good letter from Bill telling me that his foot would be stiff for some time. Also a letter from the Gordie, saying they would not be home for maybe 2 or 3 weeks as Jim had gone on too Montana with his partnership machine. Dad is building the fence from the East field and I pulled a nice mess of roasting ears for supper as the Hilly, Lovie and Nancy will be by for supper. I sent a long letter to Bill and Chy. Sis Ermy wouldn’t stay with me tonite. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came and brought Tipper home. Lovie brought me a half bushel of beets that Mr. Jim Smith sent me.


July 7th – Saturday Well another day has gone by and I sure worked but I got my beets put up, got 12 quarts. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came and brought me some squash and got Tipper to coon hunt tonight. Hilly, Lovie and Nancy came by for supper. Mr. Gays calves, 2 of them, sold for 12-13 cents a pound and came to $110 as did his 17 sheep. Mr. Bowden’s check for his sheep was put in some one else’s box as he didn’t get it and Mr. Burk sent it out. Dad finished the fence.


July 8th – Sunday Spent the day by ourselves. Hilly, Lovie and Nancy all came real late and Nancy rode her bicycle. She rides it pretty good. They ate supper with us. Mr. and Mrs. Gay Lestor came tonite. Lester wanted to coon hunt but they never got anything.


July 9th – Monday I have canned 19 pints of corn today. Called Elsie but she couldn’t come until the last of the week. Dad says the corn will all be hard by then as it was most hard to use today.


July 10th – Tuesday Well, I went to the field and got enough corn to fill 11 jars and canned it. Also canned 3 quarts of my big Alberta peaches and gee it rained a good rain about 1 o’clock and it came a gully washer tonight. Hilly, Lovie, Nancy never came by tonight as it was raining before dark. I fixed a big dish of okra and was going to boil corn but thought I’d wait and see if they came. I wrote all the kids but let Mr. Perry get by before I mailed them. Old Sunday face jumped on me this morning and I never cooked him any breakfast. And I’ll not fix him any in the morning if he can’t respect me any more than he does, gee, but he is nasty.


July 11th – Wednesday Today is Tom’s birthday, don’t know for sure but I think he is 40 years of age. Dad went to Cherokee for some tobacco and I stayed home and canned some white beans and some butter beans, also canned pineapple. It took all the skin off my tongue and mouth. Hilly, Lovie, and Nancy came by for supper.


July 12th – Thursday Well 5 more letters came back that Chy and I and Lovie had written to the Bill Boy. Dad and I washed this morning. The clothes sure look nice. Mr. Gay, Lester and Dad all went hunting last night in Mr. Gay’s and Smith’s corn and Tipper really treed a big coon. Mr. Gay jumped him out and the dogs had a big fight before they killed him. The Fuzz was bit. Hilly, Lovie and Nance never came by tonight. Sure missed them. Cecil was here this morning and he said that he was going to try and get the 17 acres of land in Mr. Gay’s pasture. Said he paid $2100 dollars for the land.

No comments: