Monday, November 22, 2010

November 16th to 22nd, 2010

Sorting and Organizing: Bill has cleaned the library. Last week it was a staging area for everything he was moving home from his office. This week it is all clean and looks great again and I think 6 boxes of 'important stuff' went to the attic. Now he has started in on his desk that has always had 6 or 7 piles from 4 to 8 inches high. Now I discover he isn’t really messy at heart he just never had the time to clear it off and sort all that stuff.


Sight, Sounds and Smells: It has been dark and stormy and they say it may snow. I hope so for Dr V's sake, he wants to go skiing in the worst way. The good news for me was it was finally cold enough to wear my Einstein coat. I think I wore it maybe two times last winter and I am going to wear it that much this week. I am finally going to have a better photo for that project on Ravelry.



Tuesday November 16th: Okay, today I had to get up and go to work and Bill didn't. He was up first anyway and brought me coffee in bed. Then he was at my office at lunch and ate in the staff room with all of us. He had never been to see my office and I have worked up there four years now. Bill cooked the salmon and I had the potatoes ready yesterday. I had steamed yams, purple potatoes and Yukon gold’s, then sliced them and lay them in a stoneware pan in a swirl of color, then brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled Italian seasoning on them. Tonight we baked them with the salmon and they were delicious and really pretty too. Gosh we had so much to catch up on this week it was almost 9 before any of us looked at the clock.



Wednesday November 17th: We had a full schedule today and all of us were busy all day. We only had about a half hour for lunch and then we were at it again. When I got home Bill was lying on the bed and didn't even get up to greet me. Turns out he had been working under the desk in the computer room trying to install a drawer when he got a good case of vertigo. He has that on and off but he said he turned his neck funny and pinched a nerve and the world began to spin. Truly he was nauseous the rest of the night and had ginger ale for dinner. I was sad for him because he had picked up a roasted chicken and we had potatoes and veggies to go with it and he was to dizzy to eat a thing. It took a few hours for the feeling to pass and by bedtime he was getting better.



Thursday November 18th: Knitting: at LYS in the morning and at Crossroads with the Grandma knitters for lunch. I had not been there in ages and they were all so nice and glad to see me that I was almost overwhelmed. Also I got to eat my favorite BBQ special for lunch. It is called the triple slider; three little slider sandwiches; one with brisket, one with turkey and one with pork and a side of coleslaw. Yummy, yummy. Bill is still nesting and needed a drawer under his desk. After yesterday; I volunteered to help put it in and now he has a nice drawer for more of his stuff. Tonight he went out with friends bowling and I started Halie’s Christmas hat.



Friday November 19th: This morning I met a knitting acquaintance at the LYS and we caught up for a while. We had both driven all the way to Tacoma for a class, we sat beside each other and discovered that we lived only blocks apart. How funny is that? She is a awesome knitter, so much to learn. At noon I met up with 3 girlfriends, my book club group, and we went to lunch. Not one of us had read the book for this month and we decided to just visit and catch-up and enjoy our friendships and that is just what we did. When we got back to the area I called Bill to meet at Cindy’s house because she wanted us to help her get her generator in the trunk of her car. My ‘knight in shining armor came driving up on his white horse, I mean Honda Civic and pushed that generator right into the car, well it did take a little figuring but in the end Cindy was off to the shop with her generator and Bill and I went home for a peaceful evening.



Saturday November 20: I got up and cleaned a little. Bill cleaned a lot. Then I did a Trader Joe run for groceries. Tamara and Halie got here at noon and we had lunch, then we started cooking. Tamara made all the pumpkin breads, and brownies and I made the breakfast casseroles. When we finished cooking and cleaning up, I made a run to the liquor store and the grocery for a couple more things. Then I was exhausted and went to bed. I listened to podcast and knitted for a while. I finished Halie’s Christmas present tonight. Bill went out tonight to a TDOR service: Transgendered Day of Remembrance. There were 30 people on the list this year. It is the list of people murdered for being transgendered. I don’t think it included all the people who committed suicide because they couldn’t deal with being transgendered or how others treated them for being transgendered, that list is probably much longer. The bottom of the program he brought home said: The Emerald City Club would like to thank all of the transgendered community, allies, and would-be-allies of the transgendered community for gathering with us to mark this solemn occasion and stand in unity against the violence inflicted on people simply for being who they are. They handed out sheets of paper with a person, their photo and cause of death, and the people who got them, all around the church, would read out loud.

Bill had this one: Estrella (Jose Angel) Venegas Location: Mexicali, Mexico Cause of Death: Shot in the chest and forehead Date of Death: December 13, 2009 Estrella was 32 years old. Source of the Information: Estrella’s brother.

Sunday November 21st: The ‘family’ retirement party went well. Tamara and Halie came first and helped so much. Before the day was over we had seen Becky and Ryan, Barb and Steve, Chris, Anne Savanna & Luke, Priscilla and Jeff and Linda and Jerry. Everyone love the food and the Seahawks lost. We had a good time visiting with everyone and most importantly Bill felt loved and respected at the end of the day. All the time Tamara and Halie have been helping me, Todd has been with Hannah while she has been doing volleyball tryouts. She has finished volleyball for this year on the school team and now she is trying out for the clubs in the area. They tell me the experience with clubs is what will help get her a college scholarship. She played on and off on Saturday and Sunday but it was worth it, she was selected by the club she was hoping for and she is thrilled. She worked really hard for this, I am glad her work paid off for her.

Monday November 22nd: Okay, call me lazy. I was in bed by 9 last night and I didn’t get up and get dressed until 10am this morning. I talked to both my sister’s, mom was travelling and not available for phone calls. I told Bobbie Ann that I might just stay in bed forever and she reminded me that I had to go to the bathroom sometime and sure enough I did. Today I started exercising on the wii, just the balance things and easy stuff. I start PT for my shoulder next week and I am not allowed to do Curves until January but gosh I am turning into mush, I have to do something. I don’t know how long ago it has been but I think it was before the cold in April that started the whole thing. Any way when I got on I did the body test first and it told me I have lost 14.1 pounds since the last time we played so I guess I have lost some weight after all. I did a half hour today and I hope to keep up the effort. It has snowed on and off all day. The world is black and white outside and tonight we are expecting winds and into the teens. Well, the longer this day goes on the crazier it gets. Amanda left work in Seattle at 4:45. She did not get a bus in the city until 5:30. It is now 10:55pm and she is still on the same bus and still a long way from her bus stop and then she has a couple of miles to drive to get home. The good news is she has already got permission to work from home tomorrow and tomorrow I work. I wonder who wants to get their teeth cleaned in this.


On Health and Healing: what can I do or be for anyone else if I haven’t taken care of me.



What's Cooking?

Tuesday: family dinner: Good bread, hummus and feta spread, salmon, roasted potatoes and steamed greens.

Wednesday: Roasted Chicken, and potatoes and veggies from yesterday.

Thursday: Bill’s night out

Friday: date night

Saturday: Chef’s Salad with lots of veggies and cheeses and shrimp and or turkey for lunch and Bill had an event to go to this evening so I had more shrimp.

Sunday: Retirement Party: Champagne and Orange Juice, Hot Apple Cider and Sparkling fruit juices, Scones w/ raspberry jam, lemon curd, honey and whipped cream. French Toast Breakfast casserole and Hashbrowns and sausage breakfast casserole, veggie tray and dip, pumpkin bread and whipped cream cheese, smoked brisket, sourdough bread, mustard and dill pickles, chips, salsa and guacamole, crackers and feta cheese spread, varieties of seasoned nuts, and chocolate brownies.

Monday: Lunch: tomato soup and turkey sandwiches Dinner: lemon pepper talapia, broccoli and rice pilaf. 





Favorite Recipe this week: French Toast Casserole

1 loaf french bread
8 eggs
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Dash salt

Praline Topping (follows)

Cube all the bread into cubes (not to small, not to big)
Arrange all the cubes in a generously buttered 9 x 13-Inch baking dish
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half & half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Beat w/whisk until blended but not too bubbly.
Pour mixture over bread cubes. Make sure all are covered evenly, I mash them down a little and they absorb more of the mixture.
Cover w/foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread praline topping evenly over the bread & bake for 40 minutes,  until puffed and lightly golden.
Serve w/maple syrup.

Praline Topping
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbs light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl & blend well.

The first time I ate this casserole was at my Nashville sister’s home. It is even delicious left over and even cold, leftover and it is awesome hot.



On being Productive, experiencing Pleasure and Living Positive

What's on my needles: A lot of started projects that I seem to be ignoring and I keep starting new stuff. 

What's off my needles? I made several snowman hats.... for Christmas ornaments at the office, I have finished Luke’s Vest, Savanna’s Cardigan and Halies hat and almost finished a warm and snuggly prayer shawl but I need an awesome button for it .









Have I seen any good movies lately? We watched The Family Stone tonight. A Christmas Story. A Story about a family at Christmas time. Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Keaton, and Craig Nelson (Coach) make the line-up amazing and the story has some great twists in it – often like families. We liked it.



Podcast of the week: I am listening to a new podcast and it came to me recommended by other podcasters. It is called the Knit Wits and it is funny. The husband and wife are talking to each other and he doesn’t know much about knitting but he used to be in radio and he has a great radio voice. It is worth a listen if you’re working on a project and want some company.


Counting my Blessings: How do you say thank you to the doctors that saved your life. I want to give two special doctors a gift this year. I would love some suggestions.



Thank you for stopping by and visiting with me. I would love to hear from you also so drop me a line at : celindakot@yahoo.com or my personal email address if you have it.

No comments: