Monday, September 27, 2010

September 21st - September 27th, 2010

On Health and Healing: what can I do or be for anyone else if I haven’t taken care of me.

Focus on Health: I have spent a good deal of time this week trying to get out of my upcoming shoulder surgery. I have talked to the surgeon, by primary care doctor, my brother-in-law that I know cares about me and wants good health for me and I have had more blood tests and an EKG to prepare, just in case I don’t back out. So far the surgery is on, so I am praying for a really good result and quick healing.


Along with That: Bill and I were eating somewhere a while back and on the wall of the restaurant was a poster with Warren Buffet’s Rules for Life.


Well Bill has a list of Rules too and I am not doing so well with Bill’s list, it goes something like this:

Rule Number 1. Don’t Hurt Your Self
Rule Number 2. Don’t Break Anything
Rule Number 3. Don’t Fall

The number order seems to change now and then, depending on what I have done wrong recently. He has had these rules for years and you might think that by now I would be getting them right, but it just isn’t to be. You should see people’s faces when I tell them that my husband has made rules for me…….


What's Cooking?

Tuesday: cancelled family dinner to cook for the ‘teen feed’
Wednesday: (Teen Feed) Taco Bean Soup, Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Corn, and Chocolate Brownies w/ whipped Cream (Got Canceled so we ate Chicken Enchiladas)
Thursday: Bill’s night out
Friday: date night (in) BLT pasta recipe w/ Bill and Colleen
Saturday: Taco Bean Soup and steamed tortillas
Sunday: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and apple salad
Monday: roasted chicken, stuffing, stir-fried brussel sprouts and red peppers

We ate pretty gook this week.  :-)


On Life and Living:

Tuesday September 21stIt is official! Bill is retiring! I am so excited for him, he has worked 5 days a week for 37+ years and two times we have taken 2 week vacations other than that he hasn’t taken off more than one week at a time. We have been working with a couple of financial advisers and are hoping we have saved enough money to maintain our current lifestyle actually we hope to travel more. It is scary because we have done the planning on paper but to see how it really works out will be interesting. The way Bill and I have done the finances over the years is that I take care of the day to day, I pay the bills and he has been working on the long term plan and managing the savings and retirement part so now all those charts he built are looking a lot more interesting to me. Here is his official announcement:



Hi All,


Well, I have decided to take the plunge and retire. My last day will be on Friday, November 12th with a party on Wednesday, November 10th. I hope you can all come. It will be in the afternoon of the Nov 10th in the Forum. More later on that.


I have been talking with Jon about my retirement for a couple weeks. I needed time to figure out insurance, sources of income and other things to convince myself that it was doable.


You may remember that my wife had two serious abdominal surgeries this year. We started thinking seriously of retirement during that time because we would like to spend more time together while we are both healthy.


I started work at Puget Power/PSE on February 1, 1973. So, by the time I retire it will be 37 years and 10 months. I have had a great time doing varied work from engineering to IT over the years. I will miss each one of you but it is time for me to move on.


Here is an interesting part of it. CeLinda (my wife) has started a countdown calendar at home which is like an advent calendar. You know, the ones where you open a little paper door each day to see a new surprise under the door. Well, she has thought of 60 gifts (some small and others larger), one for each day. I think I am on minus 52 days today. So far, I received a couple T shirts with “retired” embroidered on the front, a couple of foot massage certificates and a paid kayak trip around one of the San Juan Islands.


I am sure that the SAP Support team will do very well without me. You guys are some of the most intelligent and hard working individuals that I have ever met. Thanks for all the great times we have had together.


Bill Kotsogean
SAP Support Work/Materials Management Lead



I worked today and had cancelled Family dinner to have more time to cook. I made 4 large crock-pots of chicken enchiladas tonight and got them all in the fridge for tomorrow. It took me hours longer to do the work because my shoulder hurt so much and chopping, it hurts all up in my neck to chop. I was hoping that I could forget this surgery but if I want to chop, I just don’t know. I talked to Sana today, (my primary care) and she had spoken at length to the surgeon and they both think I need to do this and that I will have a good result from it.

Wednesday September 22nd – I worked a half day today and on the way home to start cooking I got a call from Phyllis, the Teen Feed is off. It appears there was a mix up on the calendar and when she called to confirm they said that someone else was on the calendar for today. Yikes. So I just turned towards Target and picked up those aluminum foil casserole containers and went home and emptied the crock-pots into them and put the whole thing in the freezer. I have a lot of chicken enchiladas. But someone will need them. Funny it all fit in the freezer too since we had just defrosted and cleaned it last weekend. I had not cooked the rice or the corn or the brownies and the Taco Bean Soup we love so I have plenty made for a while. My shoulder and neck were really hurting by the time I move all the chicken enchiladas into the casseroles and I spent the rest of the night having a pity party.

Thursday September 23rd – Thursday is supposed to be R&R and today was a good day. Way better than yesterday. First I started taking Advil again and my pain level was much more manageable, but I am concerned about the damage that can be doing that I don’t know about. Anyway, I did some stuff at the desk and then picked up paperwork for blood tests and EKG to get ready for surgery, then I went knitting. I am getting help from Annelie at Serial Knitters and she has really been a big help. Today I got the back of another top I am working on off the needles. It is ‘my’ own design and she is helping me get what is in my brain onto paper and eventually off the needles. “It Is All About The Math!” This project has been on hold for several months mostly because other things just took priority. Now I am really making progress on my unfinished projects (UFO’s) of which this is one and that automatically moves it up on the priority list. SK the LYS has a knitting circle on Thursday mornings that I have signed up for, it is a time I can go and get help from my new favorite teacher. So I am meeting new people; today I met Chris, Mary Ellen and Sandy. Sandy looked familiar to me and I thought I might have met her sometime knitting in another shop, maybe the old Kirkland yarn store. After a while of knitting and chatting I mentioned that I was a dental hygienist and she says “you used to work for Dr Kitchel didn’t you?” and I said yes. Then she said: I have missed you so much, you were the best hygienist I have ever had. You took your time, you were thorough and you were the most gentle hygienist ever. Before the knitting circle broke up I had given out several of my cards and my head was really swelling. In the afternoon I did a little more at the desk and then settled in front of the television to watch “The Big Bang Theory” - so funny.
Friday September 24th – I think our front door has a revolving attachment I didn’t know about. I left the house at about 8 am to get blood tests and EKG for the upcoming surgery. I got home about 10:15 and Lane (a young friend) and her children came to visit. The baby is only a few weeks old guess what I set home with them, one of the chicken enchilada casseroles, for a day when she is too tired to cook. She left at noon and my Book club group was arriving at the same time. I served Taco Bean Soup to the Book club group and someone brought cornbread and someone brought fruit. We had a good discussion about life parallels’ with the book we had read (Back When We Were Grow-Ups) The book club ladies were still standing in the driveway when Bill got home and just a little while after that Bill, Colleen and Lido came for dinner and a visit. We watched a little television to unwind and were in bed before 11 for sure.
Saturday September 25th – Saturday morning we went to watch Luke play football. Oh he was so cute in his uniform. Savanna is doing cheer this year and she was in her uniform too but she cheers for a different age group so we didn’t get to see her in action this week. But you can see how cute they are.


















Aren't They Cute???




The original plan was after we watched Luke play football we would come home and I would go the other direction to Tamara’s to help cook and watch Hannah get ready for her first Homecoming Dance. That plan got cancelled when I talked to Hannah on the phone, she sounded terrible and said she had a sore throat and a cold. My immune system is so off these days we all agreed I didn’t need to be there and possibly get sick. So Tamara text me to show me how beautiful she looked. Tamara made and awesome dinner for Hannah and 11 of her friends.




I just hated missing out on that. Instead we came home and I worked in the yard for a couple of hours. It was hard to do an my arm was sore, but I won’t be doing anything at all for a while after the surgery so now was a good time to do it.


Sunday September 26th – Bill is opening his countdown to retirement gifts and today he got two gift certificates to get a foot massage. So he said he was going to use them today and he was going to use one for me too. Woo Hoo. As we are on our way I said, gee I’m glad we are doing this, my neck is killing me from working in the yard yesterday. (I think I used different muscles since my arm is limited.) Bill said; what does your neck have to do with a foot massage. So this is how it works: They bring a tub of hot water and while your feet are soaking in the water they start at your head and work down massaging muscles all the way, by the time they are finished I didn’t hurt anywhere, including my foot that has hurt for over a year. I have an appointment with the foot doctor next week. I watched the Seahawks plays some good football while Bill cleaned the roof. He was really careful not to trash my flower beds which I thought was very nice. While I was watching the football game I also finished another sweater and if I count right that makes 5 sweaters this year, not to mention the hats and bibs and scarves I have done also and my new year’s goal was 6 sweaters this year. I think I am going to make that for sure.

Monday September 27th – Today I did a little cooking, ran a bunch of errands, worked at the desk a while and walked 3 miles with JoAnn. A normal Monday and now I am madly trying to get things finished up so I can post the blog for this week. It was a good week.


On Life and Living:

Just for fun: The Advent Calendar : Bill is loving it. We started it at 60 days to retirement and he gets to count down on the calendar and gets a present a day. I told him about it a couple of weeks before the countdown mostly because I was so excited I couldn’t keep it a secret anymore. He is really enjoying it and likes the presents he is getting but you know, he is really liking crossing off the days on the calendar. Making that ‘X’ on each day really gives him a thrill. How funny.


On being Productive, experiencing Pleasure and Living Positive

What's on my needles: Have I ever mentioned that I hate – hate Kid Silk Haze. It is so hard to frog. I am working on a scarf and I had to take out about 10 rows. It was not any fun at all. Someone told me that if I have to do that again, put the project in the freezer for a day first and then it is easier. Who would guess. I will let you know if I have to do that.


What's off my needles: My Red silk tank top with the Gold Wave in the front. The gold wave is made from a bit darker red silk yarn that has gold beads attached to the yarn. I started it last fall thinking of the holiday season. Then other things just kept moving in front of it on the priority list. Now I am really making progress on the unfinished projects of which this is one. I think it turned out nice. I have almost as much yarn left over as I used. I bought it at a trunk show at Tricoter and the manager ‘figured’ out how much yarn I would need. I think I have enough for a beautiful shawl, or something else.




What I am reading: I am just starting something new: A Song Without Words by Ann Packer        It has been on my bookshelf for ages and now seems like the time. I have only pulled it down, I have not even opened it up yet.


Have I seen any good movies lately: This week we have been trying to catch some of the new fall season of television and everything I want to watch seems to be on at the same time. I have got to learn how to do streaming instead of waiting for Bill to do it.  P.S.  The antenna is still a poor substitute for cable, and it hasn't been free.  But I'd rather spend my money on something besides cable if I were choosing,  obviously. 

My Favorite Thing:  Halie,  my 'granddaughter' introduced me to them.  She gave me two.   I mean two pieces.    Then I have looked everywhere and findly found some at Walgreen's,  I bought four bags.    They really are good, if you like coconut. 




Counting my Blessings: My thoughts for the day: Positive Thinking:
Wednesday was not my best day ever and at the end I was tired and hurting a lot and feeling sorry for myself then Thursday was awesome, running into a former patient that really complimented me and made my day. So I am glad I didn’t give up on Wednesday, I am glad that I got up and made myself go out on Thursday, I am making new acquaintances and finding purpose in life. I didn’t ‘bear’ children of my own but my life is full with the children God has given me and now grandchildren too. I am blessed indeed.


Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945:   For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.

Friday September 21st - Tonite the football boys are putting on a program and having a box supper. Well we went and I took a chocolate pie to be auctioned off. It brought $9. Mrs. Mc took a cake that brought $26 or more.  Gee, I took 5 pounds of butter up to Hilly tonite.



Saturday September 22 - Well, we went to Cherokee this evening, Frank went with us as he is our adopted son, looks like for he is always ready to go, when we are poor old fellows. Sis Ermey came home with us this evening. We went out to see Old Mrs. Gays handmade cedar bed suite and it is beautiful. She wants $130 for it. Lovie sure wants it. I told her to buy it if she wants it. Sis Ermey and I really had a hide and go seek game. We played so hard we scared the turkeys off their perches. Dad said we did.


Sunday September 23 - Well, The Gay’s came and ate dinner with us, as did Lovie and Emma. They came after church and Nancy and I had dinner underway when they got here. Lester came first thing this morning wanting to make ice cream this evening and I told him we sure would. He ran up to Cherokee for ice and milk. The girls wanted us to go to the show to see Ernie Pyle in G.I. Joe. Thought at first we would go but I decided we had better not. Lester went with the girls and me and Mrs. Gay had a very nice visit. We made the cream tonight, Lester got in at dark. Hilly rode his mare to town. I gave Mrs. Gay a tin lid cover for her skillets.


Monday September 24th – Haven’t done any thing, only lay around today. My back is getting me down. I put my stoves on today, see if I can get up better. Dad is pulling corn today. I talked to Emma, said she was tired and sleepy. My we had a sweet letter from the Bill Boy today and they left for Colorado yesterday. Sure hope they have a good trip . Bill said the candy was fine that I sent them. So glad they liked it. The turkey tom that hung himself yesterday is doing fine.



Tuesday September 25th – Well today has been a happy day for me. I had all my little daughters with me, and a letter from the Sonnie Boy. First we had since the 5th of this month. He wants to come home so bad and we want him too. Elsie told us today that the water project would be put in at Uncle Dicks place, the dam and extend from hill to hill. Dad is pulling corn today. I sent 3 pounds of butter up to the store by the kids. That makes 8 pounds since the first of last week. Mr Perry put one of Mrs. Johnsons letters from Russel, her son in our mailbox so I had the girls to drop it in her box as they went home.


Wednesday September 26th – we washed this morning and it was the first time in months that we didn’t have rain water to wash in. Dad has gone to Cherokee to get turkey pellets. Well me and RH had an argument over everything in general. Guess we would peter out if we didn’t argue. I cleaned the house this evening.


Thursday September 27th – Well the Lovie and Emma ran down to see if I had the house clean, but I had cleaned it pretty good yesterday. I cleaned and baked a chicken and made a cake as Emma’s friends are coming tonight. Jean, Burr, maybe Billie. Dad is still pulling corn. Emma brought me a broom and sack of flour 25pounds and one 10 pound sack of meal. I must pay them. Well Jean and Burr came, Emma said just Jean and Burr would come. Had a nice supper. Then they left for Llano and Emma went with them, I didn’t want her to go.


 
 
 

No comments: