Monday, September 20, 2010

September 13th – 20th, 2010

On Health and Healing: what can I do or be for anyone else if I haven’t taken care of me.
Focus on Health: Bummer, Bummer, Bummer I am going to have shoulder surgery. It is scheduled for October 8th. It appears I tore my rotator cuff and I might have ignored that but I also have separated at least part of the attachment of my bicep muscle to the bone and that could get much worse. That is the reason I decided to go ahead with surgery.

Walking Stats: I am walking regularly but I am not using a pedometer, the app is on my phone and when I am walking I am using the iPod function that is usually an audio book instead.
What's Cooking?      I made a new pasta dish recently:

Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Pasta

8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
6 – 8 slices of bacon – sliced in ½ -3/4 inch pieces
½ medium sweet onion, sliced
3 cups of baby spinach sliced
1 cup of fresh tomato, slices or chunks
1/3 – ½ cup of pesto (I guess this is optional too, but we liked it)
1/3 cup of mayo (I use the kind made with olive oil)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 avocado, cubed (optional)

Boil the pasta in one pot and in the another one cook the bacon pieces. When the bacon is crispy drain off most of the ‘drippings’ then sauté the onions with the bacon in the remaining oil. When the pasta is almost cooked add the tomatoes and spinach to the sauté. Then drain the pasta and add it to the sauté pan. Stir in the pesto, mayo and salt and pepper. Add the avocado if you are using it. Serve with a good bread and enjoy.


Next I am going to try BLT bread salad.



Tuesday September 14th, I worked at the Redmond Ridge office. When I come back from vacation I remember again how much I enjoy working. I love the patients, getting to know someone new or getting to know someone a little better. I got hugs and welcome backs from my coworkers and that reminded me that I love who I am working with in both offices also. Then the work itself, I have decided it is like a craft project and I love to ‘dig into the project and make everything beautiful and perfect.’ So it was good to be back from vacation. Becky came over for family dinner and that was when I made the BLT pasta dish. Amanda doesn’t like tomatoes, onions or avocados so this was a good week to try this recipe since she was in Florida visiting her parents there.

Wednesday September 15th, I worked again and was really tired at the end of the day. This is a sign of the lower prednisone and Addison’s disease I am sure but I was in bed before 8PM and asleep soon after. My alarm woke me up from a dead sleep to remind me to call my Aunt Jeanne and 9 PM. She and I have a date at 9PM on Wednesday’s and we both look forward to hearing from each other.

Thursday September 16th, I was up early because I had a doctor’s appointment for my shoulder. When I got there they took 3 x-rays and determined that nothing was broken. Then the doctor came in and did a few muscle reaction and reflex tests. He said I have a tear in the rotator cuff and have separated part of the ligament attachment of the bicep muscle to the bone and recommended surgery. It is scheduled for Oct 8th, with the plan of taking two weeks off work, but I think I am going to go for a second opinion somewhere sometime soon. I’m not liking the idea of surgery so much. After going to the orthopedic appointment I was so depressed that I “didn’t go knitting.” I just went home and pouted.

Friday September 17th, The good news is that Bill took today off work and he spent the day spoiling me, starting with coffee in bed when I woke up. We talked about surgery and what was coming and we both did chores around the house. He helped me with a bunch of stuff all day and at dinner we met Bill and Colleen and caught up from vacation. Next week maybe.

Saturday September 18th, This was one of my Saturday’s to work and again I had a great day. It was good to see everyone at this office. Most of the patient’s I know and have seen for years and I like that. So a while back I told Bill I hear voices in my head. He said what do these voices say to you? And I said, stuff like; you need to vacuum, the flower beds need cleaning out, blah, blah, blah. Now he wants to know what the voices are saying, so he can help, since he can’t hear these voices himself. So this morning I started a list and at the top it say’s “CeLinda’s Voices.” Today the list said: mail letters, Costco run, put away toilet paper in each bathroom, change out the cat food, carry the stuff in the garage up to the attic, empty the two dead mice out of the mouse traps and rebait them. He text me at work before lunch and said he was home from Costco. So when I went home at lunch I took all the meat off the bones of 5 roasted chickens and put the meat and bones in separate bags in the freezer. I am going to use the meat this coming week for the Teen Feed. Bill had crossed off and completed every single thing the voices had been bugging me about. I really like that list.

Sunday September 19th – Yesterday before I went to work I put a thing on Facebook that said I needed Crock Pots for the Teen Feed this coming week. So I spent some time today collecting Crock pots, 4 to be exact and I am hoping that will be enough. I have four myself and I have a couple more I can get my hands on. I also did some slicing and dicing of vegetables and getting them ready to cook. Bill and I defrosted the freezer in the garage.  We have been eating out of the freezer for a while and we have made good progress.  It looks great now.       



Amanda came over to visit for a bit, she was just back from Florida and it was great to see her face and get a hug. Mostly I watched disgusting football and knitted Sunday afternoon and I always look forward to talking to my cousin Jan who helps keep me up on part of the California family.

Monday September 20th - Today I started the day with a really nice visit with Mom, we both had a lot to catch up on, funny since we talk every Monday morning. We both get a cup of coffee and lay in bed and chat. Then I did a little work at the desk. I made a huge pot of Taco Bean Soup getting ready for the Teen Feed on Wednesday. This afternoon I did my walking and hit a couple more grocery stores for supplies, now I am spending a bit of time at the desk and Bill and I are looking forward to watching the new season of House that starts tonight.











On being Productive, experiencing Pleasure and Living Positive

What I am reading: I know this is going to sound fascinating but I read a pile of dental magazines while I was on vacation and this week and I tore out the interesting articles and put them in those plastic sheets and then in a 3-ring binder. Dr V says he has a book like that and he calls it “Just the Pearls.” (The juicy tidbits that you want to study, cherish, think on and remember.) I finished another short story by Mary Higgins Clark, an easy read, fiction, called ‘All Around The Town.’ Because of a traumatic event in Laurie’s youth she developed multiple personalities to help her cope. I am now reading a book called “Back When We Were Grown-ups” and I like it, more than I expected. It was a book club choice so I was wary, but it is a good read and now I am going to Netflix the movie, I didn’t know there was a movie but I ran into one of my book club friends at Trader Joe’s and she said the movie was good also. So there you have it.
Have I seen any good movies lately: Yes, we watched two this weekend and I liked both of them. ‘When in Rome’ was a B in my opinion just a cute ‘boy finds girl – boy looses girl – boy finds girl” the other movie was ‘Invictus and I loved it. Lots of contempory history that was interesting and well done.
I am cutting the rest of my notes a little short because it is time to go watch House. Later,….




Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.




Thursday, September 13 – Well, the norther is still blowing today. Sure is cold this morning. Frank and dad finished up the hay stack. I spent most of the day in bed. As I am sure under the weather, feel so bad, I have eaten nothing but milk today. Frank and Cecil were here at noon time but I had no dinner cooked. I sure hated it too. Cecil went on home but Frank ate a snack with dad. Something killed one of my turkeys last night and ate it’s head off. So I cooked the rest for Tipper and Fuss. It was so nice and fat. The turkeys flew everywhere last night. Gee, we had a letter from Bill and Chy and Ann is walking some. Dad put the buck goat with the nanny this evening. Mr. and Mrs. Bowen came tonight.



Friday, September 14 – Well, me and old RH had a bout. Because he went to Cherokee this morning and would not wait till this evening, because I had to clean house and make some candy to send to Son. So, I’ll just go up with Mr. Perry tomorrow and not ole RH. He and Frank can go. Emma had Mr. Perry bring my amphogel and I must see who paid for it. Lovie and Em sent peppers and hamburger meat by RH this evening. RH and Hilly went to town. RH pulled Hilly’s whoopie car in too so he could get it fixed. I got Son’s candy all wrapped and ready to send tomorrow. I had RH help me pen Lipy. I’m going to milk her.


Saturday September 15th – Well I went to Cherokee with Mr. and Mrs. Perry and Son’s bucket of candy off. Mr. Perry is so nice, he mailed Son’s package for I didn’t have any money. Then, I gave him a check for the amphogel and the 33 cents for mailing the package. I wouldn’t go to Cherokee with RH as he and Frank wanted to go and take the hay this morning and I wanted to go this evening. While I was in the store this evening Norm Miller came in drunk as hoot owl, and he sang two songs for me. They were so pretty. He sang “Mother when I shake hands” and “Going with you”. Tom and Frank came along and Mr. Johanson got to meet Tom. Frank begged Lovie out of some draft or Nancy got it for him. Sis Ermies little dress was so pretty on her. She gave me such a sweet little pen made out of cedar. Emma brought Nancy and I home. As they Hilly Lovie Em were going to Bill and Martha’s to a hop. Sis Ermie and I made candy tonight.


Sunday September 16th - Well we, Hilly, Lovie, Emma, Nancy all went over to Cecil’s today to a big dinner and I mean a big dinner. Sure had a good time, lots of folks over there. I met Mrs. Bowden’s sister and her niece May. Emma and Worth had a water fight, then ran off to Cherokee. Don’t know where they went but I bet to the negro rodeo that Abe Galloway is putting on this eve. I must write the Sons a letter tonite. I have had the stomach ache. Guess it will take time for it to get well.


Monday September 17th - Well I didn’t do much today. I fixed my wine dress. And Oh Gee, we had a package from Chy and it contained to pictures of Ann and they are precious. Her little squirrel teeth are showing. She is so sweet. I never talked to the girls. I called Hilly and he said they were at the house. I told him to have them call me but he never did for they did not call me. Dad is sick tonite with bowel trouble and cramps in his stomach. I gave him some paregoric. I got the boys letters off. I have had the tummy ache too.


Tuesday September 18th - Well Cecil had a calf buyer today and he sent him over here and Dad sold 7 of our big calves for $50 each. I cooked a chicken and made some cottage cheese and Dad and I ran up to Cherokee and I took the chicken and cheese to the kids. Worth left today for Tarleton College. Dad still feels bad. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came a while this evening. The girls gave Dad a steak and a dozen oranges. I can’t eat steak. Banty hatched 4 baby banties all black with white heads. Worth came back this evening.


Wednesday September 19th - Well today my oldest granddaughter is 17 years of age and Gordie is giving her a birthday party. They wanted Dad and I to go but we are so beat up we decided it best to stay home. Dad ran over to San Saba to cash his $350 calf check. He gathered some corn, hauled it in with the pickup. I had Mrs. Gay send me some Saturday Posts. Dad stopped for them, she sent Lester’s pants for me to press, poor thing, she can’t use her hand yet. I didn’t have the tummy ache today and I ate a baked apple or two and I baked bananas. Gee, they were good. I made 7 half pints of pepper relish today. Wish I could eat some of it. Emma had me send up her black skirt.


Thursday September 20th - Well I didn’t do much today. Slept, then Dad and I had a fight, guess we both slept too long. I talked to Pollie and she said Jymmies’ birthday party was so nice and that she got a lot of nice gifts. Dad didn’t do anything today. Mrs. Gay told me that she had her box all ready for the football game.


1 comment:

Helen Doty said...

Sorry to hear about the surgery. Have you gotten a second opinion yet?
I'm off to Minnesota for the press-check tomorrow, and back Sunday night. Take care,
Helen