Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 3 – August 9 2010

On Health and Healing: What can I do or be for anyone else if I haven’t taken care of me.

Focus on Health: Right now it is still about rest and I am getting a lot of rest. Last weekend I went to bed Saturday night and got up Monday morning. I have been getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep a night. I am sure it is because I am finally down to the goal amount of prednisone and it is more than 2/3rds less than I was taking in April. I am adjusting to less meds and it is better for my body then that is what I am going to do.

Walking Stats:

Tue, Aug 3rd: worked and family dinner, not so much walking
Wed, Aug 4th: worked and too tired to walk
Thur, Aug 5th: forgot to use pedometer
Fri, Aug 6th: forgot to use pedometer
Sat, Aug 7th: forgot to use pedometer
Sun, Aug 8th: 7136 steps 2.65 miles
Mon, Aug 9th: 3451 steps 1.35 miles

Okay so I really need to improve in this area......

What's Cooking? (What’s ‘From the Freezer’/ FtF)
Sunday: tacos, (FTF) (quesadilla’s for Luke) and corn
Monday: chicken breast and salmon patties, (FTF) broccoli (FTF), green beans (FTF) and mac and cheese
Tuesday: family dinner (take out Thai Food)
Wednesday: chicken in peppers with pineapple and soy and steamed rice cole slaw and corn on the cob
Thursday: Bill’s night out

On Life and Living:

Mom (CeLinda),  Tamara, and Papa Bill

Todd and Tamara
What’s Happening: Tuesday August 3 was Tamara’s birthday. I have known Tamara for over 20 years now when she started working for Dr Kitchel and before she was married to Todd, probably around 1988. Chris was in college then and living in Arizona. Anyway over the years I have totally fallen in love with Tamara as the daughter of my heart. We have a pretty real mother-daughter relationship in that we love each other, count on each other, help each other and even misunderstand or get upset with each other and then make up. This year I have been thinking a lot about relationships, especially since I nearly ‘kicked the bucket’ and I just want to clarify my relationship with Tamara. So on Tuesday, her birthday, I had an unofficial adoption ceremony. I would have included more of the family but physically I just wasn’t up to it so we included it in this week’s family dinner. From now on Tamara is my daughter, Todd gets another mother-in-law, lucky him and Hannah, my God daughter and her sister Halie have another grandmother. I just want them to know how I feel and that it is real to me. Wednesday August 4th was two days in a row working and it was great to be back in the routine. I am hoping for lots more routine in the future. Thursday August 5th I met my knitting group at Tricoter in Madison Park and we knitted and visited all day. I was there just about the time they opened and headed home before the traffic got to thick. I am finally working on a few things that I started ages ago and want to get finished. Friday August 6th a new LYS (local yarn shop) had it’s grand opening in my neighborhood. I was thrilled and was there almost when the doors opened to greet them. I did buy some yarn in beautiful colors and I am thinking hats and scarves. I did a little cooking on Friday afternoon including making a big pasta salad for Saturday. Friday night Bill went to a Mount Vernon High School class Reunion gathering. That class gets together every year and they spend a whole weekend catching up. Bill went to the Friday night meet and greet that had followed a day of golf. Next year he wants to golf with them also.

Saturday August 7th we went to a family birthday party. Our brother-in-law turned 60 and we got to see lots of the family we haven’t seen in a while. Our niece Sarah pulled the whole thing together and did a wonderful job. It was our first time to her and David’s house and they have put together a lovely and comfortable home. Everyone judges that differently but I loved the minimalist feeling and not too much clutter and somewhat artsy. I loved her way of putting things together.

When we got home Saturday night Chris and Anne arrived with Luke and Savanna and all spent the night and Chris and Anne left early Sunday for a few days vacation on their own and we got to play with the Grandkids. We had been planning this since before my first surgery. I think we had it on the schedule the end of February or the first of March, anyway Bill and I were glad I was well enough to be able to do it, I would have been really disappointed. I have such good memories of the times I spent at each of my three sets of grandparent’s houses and I so want to build that kind of memories for my grandchildren also. (Including the new god-grandchildren) Sunday August 8th we walked down the street to a park and the kids got to play on all the equipment and I walked around the track a few time to get in some more steps. Then we went back to the house and watched a couple of videos and Luke played with Legos and we all just had a good time together and then after dinner we went to Kirkland and walked all around the waterfront and looked at the boats and artwork and statues. It was a nice walk.

Monday August 9th we hit two more parks, Chuck E Cheese’s for lunch and more games and we worked in a doctor’s appointment for me in there also. They also started coloring pillowcases that I then had to iron to set the color and they were all finished when they went home.

Sorting and Organizing: The Grandkids have been here for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so we are just trying to stay on top of things. Today I am doing loads of laundry so that their mom does not have all that to do when she gets home.

What's up at the dental office? Tuesday was my first day back to work since the most recent surgery and all went well. Everyone was glad to see me and it was great fun to be working with patients again. I had a full schedule and the day flew by. Dr V had done an update to Dentrix the weekend before and it sounds like things did not go so well on Monday but by Tuesday he had everything going and I thought it was one of the easiest updates to get used to so far. I had a cute 14 year old male patient named Harry. I told him I thought he looked like Harry Potter. He said he was not named after Harry Potter (Which I could have guessed since Harry Potter was not invented when this Harry was born.) but he was named after Harrison Ford.

On being Productive, experiencing Pleasure and Living Positive

Sasha skirt
What's on my needles: I thought that I had made a list of all my unfinished projects sometime around the first of the year, with the hopes of finishing some of them this year. So in review:
1. Sasha skirt                            
2. Turquoise top
3. Red silk top “w/ golden wave”
4. Brown “diamonds of gold”              
5. Light blue Pixel coverup tee
6. Lipstick vest is finished and I am ripping it out completely!
7. Burgundy kid silk haze scarf
8. Turquoise ruffle scarf
9. Floral hat for Macy (great niece)
@ 12 oclock, lipstick vest, to right
is tourquoise top, below that is brown
diamonds, to left is red silk 'wave',
and on the left is blue 'pixel'.
10. And I am about to cast on for a hat and scarf for a friend of Bill’s (he wants to give her a really nice gift, we picked out the yarn today.

One time when I did this type of count I think I had 14 projects on needles so this is pretty good and I am getting close with a couple of them for sure.

What I am reading: Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy is very good. I think there are some twists in this story that I am not getting yet. There are at least three stories going at once and they have not come together yet and my mind is trying to figure it out, but has not. I also started ‘Black Hills’ by Nora Roberts. It is set in the Black Hills of South Dakota and I have never been to South Dakota. The main female character is Lil and she loves and protects the wildlife in the area.

Have I seen any good movies lately: We watched ‘Matilda’ last night with the grandchildren. It was a really cute movie perfect for kids with all the right elements.

Positive Thinking:
Do the math. Count your blessings.
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
Laugh every day - it's like inner jogging.
The most important things in your home are the people.

Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.

Aug 3rd - Friday Well we did a big washing after Dad and Frank got the corn tops hauled in. I talked to Em and she said they went to see Mary Ann, and that she was the sweetest little fat headed baby that she ever saw. Kat had a letter from Son and he had sent her a lot of jewelry, beautiful stuff. Sent Bill and air letter today, hope he gets it before he is moved to another place. Mr. and Mrs. Bowden came tonight.

Aug 4th – Saturday Well we ran up to Cherokee this evening and I paid my phone bill. Took the girls one baked chicken and one to fry and they gave me a big steak so I have cooked it and Dad said it was mighty good. Emma took me up to their apartment, it is real nice. Jim came by the store this evening. My knee is sure giving me some trouble, have to hop along on it. I ironed this morning while I cooked dinner.

Aug 5th – Sunday Hilly, Lovie, Nancy and Emma all came by, going over to move the rest of the stuff and I stayed at home and cooked dinner. Em and Nancy came back for me and the dinner. Jim, Gordie and Gordon all came over to help haul the stuff to Cherokee. Lovie gave me a pretty rug, and Em bought one from her for $4. I cooked Tipper a armadillo and he didn’t like it.

Aug 6th – Monday Well it has been a hot day and Dad had a birthday gift from Bill, 4 undershirts and me a pair of silk hose. We were thrilled over the nice gift. I made a small cabinet for the bathroom out of Lovie’s old radio. Dad is putting a cover over his top reservoir. The Bowden’s canned Mrs. Yates peaches today they will take part of them. Also I made a pot of 4 cakes of lye into soap.

Aug 7th - Tuesday Gee but we had almost an inch of rain today. The men all got wet loading Mr. Bowden’s 2 calves. Lester came and brought me some books and magazines to read. Lovie, Em, Nancy and all came late and ate supper. Lovie sold her Ice box for $200.

Aug 8th - Wednesday Oh, I am all in this morning as I had such a bad dream about Bill Boy. I dreamed his car turned over with him 3 times and Chy was the cause of it as she had left him and took Ann. I thought I was in Fort Worth when Bill was killed but he had called me from home. I could hear his voice so plain. His car turned over on the streets of Fort Worth, it was a horrible dream. I thought Nancy was with me and I lost her. I am still shaky over this dream. Well, we had another good rain this evening. I still feel bad, called Lovie and Mr. Gay had stopped to see her. She said they were so busy. The first atomic bomb hit one of Japan’s cities yesterday and destroyed it. I canned some beans and gumbo today. Russia declared war on Japan yesterday the 7th of August.

August 9th – Thursday Talked to Lovie and she said Nancy, Billie Louise and Georgia Bess had a cold watermelon stand out in front of the store and they were making quite a bit. I put down my green rug but I think I will put the pretty flowered one down that Em gave Lovie $4 for. Lovie said Mamie called over for her to hold the store for Nancy Holman. Frank came today and listened to Dad and I fight while we put the rug down. I went up to the east field to see old Brownies baby boy calf.

No comments: