Monday, October 18, 2010

October 12th - October 18th 2010

On Health and Healing: what can I do or be for anyone else if I haven’t taken care of me.    And On Life and Living:

Tuesday October 12th - I woke up and the clock said 11:58 (almost lunch) I had awaken a couple of times only to fall back asleep again. I knew this sleeping would come because I am now back on my regular low dose of steroids and so no extra chemical boost of energy. My friend Patti McM came to visit in the afternoon. I asked her to take me to Trader Joe’s to do some shopping, what was I thinking? I was almost dead when I got home. I heated a new Trader Joe casserole for dinner, it had eggplant and zucchini in it and it sounded good and tasted okay but Bill and I both gave it a thumbs down for texture, too mushy. Bobbie Ann called this afternoon she had a great weekend with her dental office, they had been to a Christian Woman’s Conference in San Antonio for the weekend.

Wednesday October 13th – I’m not wearing the sling so much around the house and I am moving my arm a little. There is really very little pain, I am taking Advil a couple of times a day. Nancy my lead-hygienist came and picked me up this evening and we went to a dinner and continuing-ed class in Bellevue. It was almost too much to do but I am glad I did it and the speaker was interesting. I got home just in time to call Aunt Jeanne before she started thinking I had forgotten her.

                                                                     
Thursday October 14th – Today is Bill’s Birthday. For his birthday I had replaced both of our rain gear from REI. Now we can do lots of walking even when it is raining. His previous jacket had self destructed and mine was something that didn’t breath so I ended up wet on the inside anyway. I went to knitting group this morning and then came home and Patty my knitting friend, came for lunch and the afternoon of more knitting. We had chicken noodle soup and ½ of Greek turkey sandwiches each. (Another friend had made and brought the chicken noodle soup.) I am knitting like crazy on my skirt now. It is time to get that thing finished and I am thinking of wearing it to Bill’s retirement party at his office. I can’t tell you how good it feels to get so many projects finished.


Friday October 15th – Bill took off work today and when we woke up he brought me coffee in bed and we laid there and talked for an hour. It was great. We both had some work to do at the desk and then we did some errands in Redmond. We went to REI, I had gotten him some kayak pants, the ones that the legs zip off and they become shorts, but they were too big so we exchanged them. We went to the bank for some cash to pay the tree guy, when he comes on Monday and then we used a coupon and got lunch at Quizno’s, we are practicing being frugal for when we are retired. Actually I think we all ready practice being frugal. I made a chocolate praline cake for Bill’s birthday cake and we took it over to Bill and Colleen’s this evening. She made roast chicken and potatoes, steamed green beans and a beautiful and delicious green salad. We had a nice birthday celebration.



Saturday October 16th – Today we had to set the alarm and get up early. We left the house at 9:30 got to Mount Vernon at 10:30 loaded Bill’s mom into the car and drove into Seattle. We met Barb and Steve, Becky and Amanda, Sarah and Macy and we all had Italian lunch and celebrated Amanda and Bill’s birthdays again. After lunch at the restaurant we all went back to Barb and Steve’s house and had pie and the birthday folks opened their presents. Then we brought Toula home with us for the night. I was exhausted and took a nap and Bill and Toula visited. He fixed her snacks and they had a great time together. When I got up she and I talked and Bill went to the computer room and did some work there. I was knitting like crazy on my skirt, it is almost finished and it is not a portable project any more. I am getting really excited to finish it.



Sunday October 17th – Bill took Toula home this morning and I met some friends for lunch. It was great to catch up. We met at 11:30 and didn’t get up from the table at the restaurant until after 2pm. Then one of my friends and I went by Chico’s to see what was on sale. It was a very nice sale, we both thought so. Jan called this evening, turned out that he injured his rotator cuff also, he had the MRI this past week and is scheduled for surgery in two weeks. He has been putting up with a sore shoulder for months now hoping it would get better, after hearing my story he was off to the doctor right away. He is going to have the surgery near Uncle Ray because that is where he will go to physical therapy afterwards. I hope his goes as well as mine did.



Monday October 18th – I got my skirt off the needles this morning while I was talking on the phone to mom and then I bought elastic while I was out and about. I went to see doctor Sana. I have and issue on my left hand. It looks like a large pimple but it doesn’t drain and it has been there 3 weeks to a month now. She wants me to see the dermatologist, she said it might be some kind of skin cancer……. My appointment is November 1. (Still in this X#0*# year) I had to be home by one for the tree guy. He is amazing; climbs like a spider, has two chain saws, one on each hip (like 6-shooters) the ‘little’ one is for the branches as he goes up and then when he gets to the top he puts down the ‘little ‘ one and brings up the big on and starts cutting off chunks of the trunk and is dropping them into the back yard like they were nothing. It is lots of fun to watch. Hopefully we will be ready for the windstorms to come this winter and Bill has lots of wood to chop, his first big retirement project.


















On being Productive, experiencing Pleasure and Living Positive:

What's on my needles: I started a new cardigan for Savanna this week, in pink of course.




                          


What's off my needles: My skirt! Sasha is off the needles.




What I am reading: Ann Packer’s Song Without Words. I am getting into it and it is pretty depressing. Who told me I should read this book? It is about relationships and the fault lines in relationships…. I have discovered a few of those this year in my own personal crisis, but precious few which makes me happy to think about and now I feel fault lines that have bothered me for years closing in some, I like that. I am content personally. Of course I may have blindly hurt someone that I never intended to, I hope not.

Have I seen any good movies lately: We watched “The Backup Plan” last night. Boy meets girl, boy looses girl, boy finds girl…. and Jennifer Lopez is funny we enjoyed it, a good Netflix.


My thoughts for the week and Positive thinking item for this week came as a forward from a friend in Georgia. I loved this and it made me laugh out loud for sure:

Truths For Mature Adults


1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.


2. Nothing sucks more than that moment, during an argument, when you realize you're wrong.


3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.


4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.


5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?


6. Was learning cursive really necessary?


7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood. At least I was yesterday.


8. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.


9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.


10. Bad decisions make good stories.


11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.


12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.


13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.


14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.


15. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.


16. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.


17. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear, or understand a word they said?


18. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!


19. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

 20. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!


21. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.




Thank you for stopping by and visiting with me. I would love to hear from you also so drop me a line at : celindakot@yahoo.com or my personal email address if you have it.







Grannies’ Diary: Bobbie Ann Maxwell 1945: For a few years now my grandmother’s (my mom’s mother) diaries have been sitting on a bookshelf above my desk. Now that others are reading this, I think I will take things from her diary and tell you what was happening at her farmhouse also. I have started with the first complete looking diary and the year is 1945. I am telling her story, in her words as best I can.


Friday October 12th - Well, well. We had a letter from the Son today. First time I heard from him since the 25th of September. He is so fed up with the Army. I talked to Emma and she has sold a lot of the sacks, She has $6 for me. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis and the boys came tonight. They want my turkey hens but only offered me $330 for them. I got Son’s bucket of fruit cake almost ready to send to him. The Lewis’ brought me a lot of magazines. Dad helped Clarence Light thrush his peanuts today. I did the chores.


Saturday October 13th - Well, I went to Cherokee with Mr. Perry, sent Son’s fruitcake off. I told Mr. Burke not to label it as a Xmas gift because he might not be over there for Xmas. Also sent him a letter. Old Tipper howled a lot today. Fuzz is not here tonight, don’t know where he is. Emma sold $8 worth of sacks. I came home with Mr. and Mrs. Gay as Dad never showed up in Cherokee. Mr. Gay butchered his calf, Lewis took half of it. I hear the Fuzz barking. Albert is in Tyler might be home in a day or two. Dad helped light a gains today that’s why he didn’t come in at noon. He threshed peanuts this evening.


Sunday October 14th - Well a pretty lonesome day. I don’t know where Hilly, Lovie, Nancy and Emma all went. Gordie, Jim and Gordon came by with a load of Mexicans. Gordie thought the girls were here so she went on to Llano with Jim. He was taking the Mexicans to his pecan crops. Mr. and Mrs. Warner Kuykendall came to look at the cows. He said they were too high. Mr. Lon B came with a man from Lometta, he didn’t buy the cows either. The same man called and wanted to know if Hilly was here. Shelly Faye and Irene Randolph came this evening and we had a nice visit.


Monday October 15th - Well, I didn’t do much today, I have a cold. I pieced one lily block on my quilt. I started the quilt, week before last. Frank and Dad pulled a load of corn this evening. I haven’t received my specs yet that I ordered from Dr Conner. We never heard from the Bill Boy and girls today. Wish I could see them. I never talked to the girls today, I hate to bother them.


Tuesday October 16th – Well Glory be as I was milking tonight late, about sundown, I heard a car coming and I kept looking until I saw the color of the car. And Glory be it was the Bill, Chy, Ann, and of course, Lovie, Em and Nancy were with them, and little Ann knew me. Gee but she is so sweet I could eat her. I feel awful bad but maybe I will feel better now. I called Gordie about 8 and it wasn’t long before she was here. Of course Mr. and Mrs. Bowden were here. My stomach sure gave me fits this evening. I feel so bad these days.


Wednesday October 17th - Well the girls were all here today enjoying the Bill and Chy and Ann. Gee, but we are so happy. I cut Nancy a dress out of the red plaid. My nose bothers me some. Dad went to San Saba, had a 1000 pounds of corn ground, cost $2. Payed a $100 on the note. Bill has roped his old horse up tonight. I sure don’t want that old horse to hurt Bill. The Cherokee boys played the San Saba Armadillos last night and beat them 13 to 6. Our little Ann is so smart and sweet. Clarence Light came and wanted Dad to help him bale peanuts. Chy fell and hurt her knees this evening. Sure was a bad hurt.


Thursday October 18th – Well we washed today, the Bill, Chy and I. I feel very well today. Bill ran into San Saba to see Albert, he got in this morning. Ann and I took our go cart ride this morning. Bill and Dad vaccinated the 5 little calves after we got through washing. Then Dad went to help Clarence bale hay but they broke down about 4 o’clock. Ann and I went to meet Bill and she rode to the house with him and I came on. Just as I got to the gate Bill called and said Mama – Ann drank some coal oil out of the little can that I cleaned the paint brushes, but I think she spilled most of it. Anyway, I never was so scared in my life. Oh Lord! But I will be careful with things like tat from this day on. She is up playing after a nice nap. It’s 9:30.











No comments: